What is SKAN (SKAdNetwork)?
SKAN (StoreKit Ad Network, or SKAdNetwork) is a framework created by Apple for privacy-preserving mobile app install attribution. It aims to help measure conversion rates of app install campaigns without compromising users’ identities.
In SKAN, the App Store itself is serving as a facilitator of marketing measurement. The attribution process is conducted by Apple’s technology and digitally signed by Apple’s servers.
A core difference between SKAN and an IDFA-based attribution flow is that SKAN is inherently privacy-safe and does not supply granular per-device data.
SKAN also limits the number of marketing campaigns mobile marketers can measure, and limits post-install conversion data to a single data point, accessible via a marketer-configurable timer. It does not support frequency capping or real-time data, but thanks to an update does now support view-through attribution.
What are the uses of SKAN?
Before we get into the main use cases of SKAN, let’s first review how the framework collects and sends data to advertisers as highlighted in our guide on the topic.
When a user clicks on an ad that opens the App Store, the app and ad network provide basic information including the publisher, campaign ID, and ad network. The App Store then sends confirmation to the network of a conversion, which will then be reported alongside the conversion value and sent to the advertiser.
Looking for the world's most advanced SKAdNetwork Solution?
Learn how Singular helps advertisers use SKAN
This notification of a conversion is sent after at least 24 hours and does not include any information that can identify the user. As a result, the ad network receives confirmation of an app install conversion, although the install isn’t connected to a specific user so privacy is still preserved.
As an advertiser, you receive the following data:
- Click-through attribution for ads seen in mobile apps
- The publisher ID of the publishing app
- Campaign ID that provides information such as the campaign, creative, and placement
- The first time the user installed the app
- A conversion value between 0 and 63 that must be set by the advertiser, which is designed to provide estimates of the users’ quality as opposed to specific revenue data
- A cryptographic verification of the attribution and parameters
- Accurate attribution that is mostly free of fraud
In order to user this data provided as an advertiser, below are a few must-haves that should be in place to get the most out of your ads:
- Your media partners must support and integrate with the SKAN API
- You’ll need to collect and confirm the install data from each media partner to identify any fraud or misuse
- Analytics and reporting to easily make sense of all this data
- Intelligent parament section can also be used to optimize ads based on the conversion information and parameters provided from the 0-63 conversion value data
As you can see, the vast majority of advertisers are not going to set up all the technology required to make the most of the SKAdNetwork, and instead rely on third-party mobile measurement partners (MMPs) like Singular.
Want to drive growth for your app with iOS 14 and above?
Learn why Singular is the leading SKAdNetwork solution
How Singular helps advertisers use SKAN?
MMPs are uniquely positioned to help advertisers with the entire process of using SKAN, all the way from integrating directly with media partners, implementing conversion models, verifying the conversion data, and providing a simple reporting and analytics interface. Specifically, Singular’s SKAdNetwork attribution provides everything that advertisers get the most of their ads, including:
- Granular analytics data for ROAS and cohort reporting
- Centralized data in order to have a single source of truth for your marketing data
- Customized conversions based on the ideal model for your app
- Fraud prevention techniques to verify all the data
Finally, given that Singular is fully compliant with all the App Stores policies, this makes it the ideal way for advertisers to improve the ROI on their advertising, without the risk of using shady workarounds.
- SKAdNetwork 101: What is it? What does it mean for you?
- How to test SKAdNetwork: Step-by-step instructions
- Advanced Measurement using SKAdNetwork: Unlocking ROAS
- SKAdNetwork code: Singular releases Github repository with code for ad networks, publishers, advertisers
- SKAdNetwork, Facebook, and Singular: How we’re supporting iOS attribution via Facebook
- SKAN: A practical standard for the implementation of SKAdNetwork